Skip to main content
- Lightly coat beef with flour. Heat 1-1/2 teaspoons oil in stockpot over medium heat until hot. Brown half of beef shanks on all sides; remove from stockpot. Repeat with remaining 1-1/2 teaspoons oil and shanks. Pour off drippings. Season with salt and pepper, as desired.
- Add onion, carrot and celery to stockpot; cook and stir 3 to 5 minutes or until vegetables are crisp-tender. Add wine; cook and stir 2 to 3 minutes or until browned bits attached to stockpot are dissolved. Cook an additional 5 to 8 minutes or until most of the liquid has evaporated, stirring occasionally. Stir in tomatoes.
- Return beef to stockpot; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover tightly and simmer 2 to 3 hours or until beef is fork-tender.
- Meanwhile, prepare Gremolata. Place parsley, orange peel and garlic in food processor or blender container. Cover; process until finely chopped, stopping and scraping side of container as needed. Cover and refrigerate until ready to use.
- Remove cross cuts. Cut beef from bones; set aside. Skim fat from cooking liquid. Bring cooking liquid to a boil and cook 5 to 10 minutes or until reduced to 2 cups. Season with salt, as desired. Return beef to cooking liquid. Serve with creamy polenta; garnish with Gremolata.