Skip to main content
- Heat oil in large stockpot over medium heat until hot. Brown beef Short Ribs evenly. Remove from stockpot; season with salt and black pepper.
- Add 1 cup onion to stockpot; cook 3 to 5 minutes or until tender, stirring occasionally.
- Add tomatoes, poblano peppers and chipotle peppers to stockpot. Return beef to pan; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover tightly and simmer 1-1/2 to 2-1/2 hours or until beef is fork-tender.
- Remove beef; keep warm. Skim fat from cooking liquid.
- Spoon cooking liquid over beef. Sprinkle with chopped onion and cilantro, as desired. Garnish with lime wedges, if desired.
- To cook in a slow cooker, season beef with black pepper and salt. Add beef, onion, tomatoes, poblano peppers and chipotle peppers to 4-1/2 to 5-1/2 quart slow cooker and stir to combine. Cook on HIGH 4 to 6 hours or on LOW for 8 to 10 hours, or until beef is fork tender. (No stirring is necessary during cooking.) Remove beef; keep warm. Skim fat from cooking liquid. Spoon cooking liquid over beef. Sprinkle with chopped onion and cilantro, as desired. Garnish with lime wedges, if desired.
- To roast poblano peppers, arrange seeded pepper halves, skin side up, on large sheet of aluminum foil. Place on broiler rack so surface of peppers is 3 to 4 inches from heat. Broil 12 to 15 minutes or until skin is blackened. Fold aluminum foil over peppers to enclose. Let stand 5 minutes. Remove and discard blackened skins from peppers.