1. Meat is a complete, high-quality protein containing all of the essential amino acids your body needs for optimal health.
Amino acids are used to build muscle, strengthen the immune system, and help maintain a normal metabolism. People cannot naturally produce all of the necessary amino acids, making adequate dietary consumption critical.
2. Meat provides more protein per serving (25 grams per 3 ounces) than dairy (8 grams per cup), eggs (6 grams each), legumes (12 grams per ¾ cup), vegetables or nuts (2 to 5 grams per serving).
Protein is critical for developing, maintaining and repairing muscles. Protein is needed to make enzymes and hormones, and is a basic building block of bones, cartilage, skin, and blood.
3. Meat is THE natural source of Vitamin B12.
Vitamin B12 plays a key role in maintaining brain and nervous system function, normal metabolism, and high energy levels. Followers of a vegan diet, which contains no animal foods, must add Vitamin B12 through supplements, fortified foods, or certain types of seaweed or nutritional yeast.
4. Consuming meat may help you manage, and even lose, weight.
Consuming meat helps you feel full longer, while curbing hunger and satisfying food cravings. Research has shown that animal protein has a greater positive effect on weight loss than plant protein.
5. Meat is rich in essential nutrients.
|Choline||Supports nervous system development|
|Niacin||Supports energy production and metabolism|
|Riboflavin||Helps convert food into fuel for lasting energy|
|Thiamin||Promotes energy production and supports the nervous system|
|Vitamin B6||Supports brain and nervous system health, normal metabolism, and production of red blood cells|
|Iron*||Promotes cognitive health and enhances oxygen delivery|
|Phosphorous||Helps build bones and teeth|
|Potassium||Maintains normal blood pressure|
|Selenium||Protects cells from damage|
|Zinc||Helps maintain a healthy immune system|
6. Convenient processed meats, like sausage, hot dogs, and deli meats, suit busy lifestyles without sacrificing nutrition. These high-quality protein sources are packed with vitamins and minerals, including iron, zinc, and vitamin B12.
To suit your individual nutrition needs and personal preferences, processed meats options come in a variety of formulations, including low and reduced sodium, and reduced and fat free.
7. Meat is a SUPERFOOD that supports overall optimal health.
The nutrients in meat strengthen the immune system, contribute to the formation of red blood cells, hormones, and muscle tissue, and ensure proper functioning of the nervous system. These nutrients also impact our senses of taste and smell, benefit our thyroids, and support antioxidant production.