Root Beer Braised American Lamb Shanks
- Season shanks with salt and pepper. In heavy-bottomed stainless steel pot over medium-high heat, heat 2 tablespoons oil.
- Brown shanks in batches, about 6 to 8 minutes.
- Transfer to a platter; reserve.
- Add 2 tablespoons oil, onions, carrots and garlic to pan; sauté until golden brown, about 6 to 8 minutes. Add butter; stir for 1 minute. Add tomato paste and flour; cook 2 to 3 minutes longer. Add root beer; deglaze pan. Add the broths, whole tomatoes, rosemary, mint and thyme.
- Return shanks to pan; dredge in sauce.
- Cover pan; bake at 325°F for 2-1/2 hours or until shanks are tender.
- Remove shanks; keep warm.
- In a blender, puree liquid and vegetables until smooth. Place in a saucepan; whisk in butter.
- Transfer shanks to platter; spoon sauce over.
- Serve Root Beer Braised American Lamb Shanks topped with fried onions on olive oil mashed potatoes.